India Camel Safari Tips

One of the best things about international travel is that it provides the opportunity to do things you would never do at home. One of my fondest India travel memories is of a camel safari in Rajasthan. Riding a camel was far different than I imagined it would be, and in fact, I came very close to falling face forward into the sand the first time I tried it. Here are a few tips for how to make the most out of your India camel safari.


Choose a Reputable Camel Safari Guide

Think about it: on a camel safari, you're going to be far away from populated areas, out in the middle of the desert. You want to be sure that the camel safari guide you choose is reputable and dependable.

Lonely Planet recommends Camel Man in Bikaner and Trotters in Jaisalmer. Assuming you are staying in a reputable hotel or guest house, you can also depend on the owners to make arrangements with a good safari guide.

Hold on Tight

On my first camel ride, I felt relaxed and confident. When my camel guide said, "Hold on," I lightly put my hands on a metal ring on the saddle. He then, very emphatically said, "No, hold on tight." I'm glad I listened. As the camel began to stand, I was immediately thrust forward, and almost fell face first into the sand, in spite of the fact that I was holding on tight.

Since then, I've learned that in addition to holding on tight, it is a good idea to do the opposite of what the camel does. For instance, when the camel begins to stand up and move face down, lean back, as far as you can. By leaning back, you balance out the forward motion of the camel, and don't have the problem of almost falling off. As the camel moves into a more upright position, you can sit straight up. Once the camel is standing all the way up, you can relax, and even have your hands free to do things such as photography.

Wear Proper Clothing

Long pants are ideal for a camel ride, since they help protect your legs from the rough fur of the camel. Flip flops or sandals are fine to wear, as long as there are stirrups. To be on the safe side, either wear sandals with heel straps, or wear shoes that are enclosed. Since you will be out in the hot desert sun, it is also advisable to wear a hat, and a lightweight, loose fitting, long-sleeved shirt or blouse to protect yourself from the sun.

Resources:

http://www.hrhhotels.com/Royal_Retreats/Gorbandh_Palace/Explore-Jaisalmer.aspx
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=camel+safari